kernel crash ...

Vincent Blondel vincent at xtra-net.org
Sat Nov 18 10:19:44 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 17:31 -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:14:40PM +0100, Vincent Blondel wrote:
>
> > > I'm not sure about the cause though, does it happen every time you run
> > > mailwrapper, or only under load?
> >
> > sendmail_enable is defined to "NONE" so I can suppose I do not use
> > mailwrapper.
> >
> > How can I know it
>
> You are clearly running it, because of:

>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> If you don't know about mailwrapper running, that suggests you're not
> using the system for email processing and it's the nightly admin
> scripts which are sending mail automatically overnight.

No I just forgot the existence of mailwrapper but as I said it in my
last mail /etc/mail/mailer.conf points to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail on my
machine because qmail is serving SMTP on my web server.

Concerning nightly scripts, I receive them in my mailbox every
day/week/month.

> I suspect that your mailwrapper executable may be corrupt.  The kernel
> is supposed to handle this, but you might have discovered a new and
> better way to corrupt a binary to get it past the existing checks :-)

Do not forget my original post concerned a kernel panic on process httpd
so maybe problem does not come from mailwrapper ?

> Try to send an email to e.g. root on the system and see if it triggers
> the crash.

"echo Hello |mailx -s "Hello" root" works perfectly.

> If it does, then save a copy of the mailwrapper binary (i.e. don't
> immediately "fix" it by reinstalling) and make it available so we can
> see what is wrong with it.

but I still get a new crash this morning at 09h20 AM and when I try to
get kgdb running I get hundreds of lines with this ...

 kgdb: kvm_read: invalid address (0x0)

> Kris

Vincent