kernel crash ...

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Nov 16 13:02:04 PST 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 05:38:44PM +0100, Vincent Blondel wrote:

> Hello Kris,
>
> You can find below a generic make.conf I use to compile src/ports on my
> all machines ( only AMD Athlon XP/MP ).
>
> .CPUTYPE != sysctl hw.model |sed 's/ //g'
> .if ${.CPUTYPE:M*AMDAthlon(tm)XP*}
>     CFLAGS= -march=athlon-xp
> .endif
> .if ${.CPUTYPE:M*AMDAthlon(tm)MP*}
>     CFLAGS= -march=athlon-mp
> .endif
> CFLAGS+= -O -pipe
> CFLAGS+= -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3
> .if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/src/*}
>     CFLAGS+= -fno-strict-aliasing
> .endif
> .if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/ports/*}
>     CFLAGS+= -Os -fomit-frame-pointer
> .endif
> COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

I think you have the -fno-strict-aliasing backwards, BTW: /usr/src
should be safe to compile with -fstrict-aliasing (but it's only
enabled by default at -O2, so that's a NOP for you anyway), but ports
definitely are not in general.

Also you might as well use CPUTYPE instead of manually setting CFLAGS
to do the same thing.

Anyway, this doesn't seem to be the cause of your problems so I don't
know why your backtraces are garbage.  Maybe you can try backtracing
in DDB when you get a panic and see what that says instead.

Kris