adaptec utilities on amd64?

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed Nov 15 14:14:49 PST 2006

Does anyone have any hints on monitoring adaptec RAID's (particularly
aac devices such as 2230SLP) on FreeBSD 6.2/amd64?  I don't need to
reconfigure anything, just know when and which drives have failed, if
any.

The latest card I got apparently has firmware too new for use with
the FreeBSD native aaccli.  Older versions of that card worked fine
when freebsd4 compat was built into the kernel with FreeBSD 6.0, 6.1
and 6.2.

I installed (with some $ARCH trickery) the linux-afaapps port, but it
fails to run with this error:

/compat/linux/usr/sbin/afacli: error while loading shared libraries: /
usr/lib/libartsc.so.0: ELF file OS ABI invalid

So then I tried the linux arcconf utility on the CD that came with
the card.  It reports "Controllers found: 0".

Is there any other program to try?   Has anyone hacked up a small
program to do the necessary ioctl calls to the aac driver to probe
the raid status and print out a degraded/optimal type output?
something like what the kernel prints on boot would be sufficient.

I'm very scared to put the server into production without a way to
monitor the RAID status.