Installing 6.2-BETA3 from floppies

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Tue Nov 14 00:26:26 PST 2006

Hi!

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.x onto old Packard Bell machine,
it is Pentium-166 with 80Mb RAM and 10Gb HDD ("Orlando" motherboard).

6.2-BETA3 boot-only CD is no-emulation one and CD loader
cannot boot this machine.

I've prepared 4 floppy disks and tried to boot from floppies.
It successfully loads kernel and acpi.ko and shows menu
formerly known as 'Beastie' (now draws 'FreeBSD' instead of Chuck).
The menu shows that FreeBSD detects that this system does not
have ACPI and will boot without ACPI support enabled.

However, timer does not 'tick' and there is always 10 seconds left.
I choose verbose mode, it starts to show its diagnostic output
but last line it shows is 'Calibrating clocks...' then it halts:
keyboard leds do not switch, there is no reaction on 'Ctrl-Alt-ESC'.

What else should I try other than installing system to HDD
using another box?

Eugene Grosbein