update on dell precision 670 vs em death match

Russell Jackson raj at csub.edu
Tue Nov 14 07:19:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:56:21PM -0800, Russell Jackson wrote:
> Whatever that last em commit was, it seems to have made the interrupt
> issues better. It still seems high, but it's a lot better than the
> 2000/s I was getting before.
>
> interrupt                          total       rate
> irq1: atkbd0                          54          0
> irq6: fdc0                            10          0
> irq14: ata0                           16          0
> irq15: ata1                           47          0
> irq16: nvidia0+++                1095231        677
> irq18: uhci2+                       3421          2
> irq23: ehci0                           1          0
> irq48: em0                        115315         71
> cpu0: timer                      3230219       1997
> cpu1: timer                      3228221       1996
> Total                            7672535       4744

It appears that I hit upon a fluke. The machine finally hung again after
a few days of use, and I found after the hard reset that the interrupt
problem was back. So, I'm back to running sans apic for now.

Actually, after re-reading all the previous threads again, it doesn't
appear that any of the recent fixes to em had anything to do with the
shared irq issues anyhow. I'm now left feeling a bit confused, but that
may just be due to lack of sleep.

--
Russell A. Jackson
Network Analyst