Cruel and unusual problems with Proliant ML350

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Mon Nov 13 19:22:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 09:19:45AM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> I'll agree with this (re: webservers not needing USB), except in
> regards to one item: keyboards.
>
> More and more x86 PCs these days are expecting keyboards to be
> USB-based.  Yes, PS/2 ports are still present on most (but not all)
> motherboards, but eventually that will be phased out.
>
> I like the idea of being able to go to my co-location facility and
> plug in a USB keyboard to begin working on a server, and when
> finished remove the keyboard and leave.

Don't you really need to have a monitor, as well?  I _have_ worked
"blind" before, but I didn't enjoy it.  I can imagine having a
keyboard with me when wandering around, but wouldn't normally have
a monitor.  I had always thought that the preferred solution for
this sort of case was to use a serial console.

And what seems to be becoming common on servers is a BIOS that allows
you to fully redirect to serial, including BIOS configuration.  The
servers that I have recently purchased have had a keyboard and monitor
plugged into them _once_ -- for the first BIOS setup -- and then never
again.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL