Cruel and unusual problems with Proliant ML350

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Nov 13 16:34:39 UTC 2006

Ivan Voras wrote:
 > - The less serious problem: It looks like a whole bunch of built-in
 > devices is routed to irq 29: bce, ciss, ohci and ehci. I notice last
 > three are giant locked, which doesn't look good, especially since this
 > should be a loaded web server.

If it's really only a web server, then you probably don't
need the USB ports.  In that case you should remove ohci
and ehci from your kernel.  The USB interrupt handler is
quite heavy-weight, so it can have a noticeable impact if
the interrupt is shared with other devices.

Best regards
   Oliver

(On the statement print "42 monkeys" + "1 snake":)  By the way,
both perl and Python get this wrong.  Perl gives 43 and Python
gives "42 monkeys1 snake", when the answer is clearly "41 monkeys
and 1 fat snake".        -- Jim Fulton