sio driver sucks

Спартак Радченко spartak at aif.ru
Mon Nov 13 03:36:13 PST 2006

O. Hartmann пишет:
> Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
>
>> Do you know an old sio driver is hardly usable?
>>
>> There are many silo overflows, working with a terminal device is a
>> nightmare. There was a report about one crash with a message about a
>> spinlock holed more than 5 seconds (there is no core dump because it has
>> not repeated).
>>
>> After a discussion in a Russian FIDO group I've change it on uart and
>> the problems gone.
>>
>> I think a default driver should be changed from sio to uart until it
>> will be fixed.
>>

> Had those overflows many times when I used FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE,
> 6.1-STABLE and a modem.
> But this never had a so bad influence forcing me into using uart.

I had serious problems with sio on Intel STL2 motherboard and recent
stable. Massive silo overflows (modem was almost unusable) and at least
1 sio-related panic (spinlock held for more than 5 sec). Now I changed
sio to uart ant it works like a charm. All problems gone.

--
Spartak Radchenko SVR1-RIPE