nvidia-driver-1.0.8776 was giving me READ_DMA timeouts

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Sat Nov 11 20:53:30 UTC 2006

I upgraded my 6.1-STABLE box a week or so ago, and numerous ports at the same
time.  For the last week, I've had all sorts of random reboots on a normally
rock solid system.  Yesterday I noticed that whenever I was looking at a
console, the machine was stable as usual, but when X was visible, the ATA
drives would throw spurious READ_DMA timeouts.  I downgraded from
nvidia-driver-1.0.8776 to .8774 and the problems have completely disappeared
and the system is back to normal.

I know it sounds silly and I can't explain it, but the most recent NVidia
drivers made my system feel as stable as Windows ME on an overclocked Cyrix.
I'm posting this here mainly for the benefit of anyone else who might be
having similar problems.
--
Kirk Strauser