Debugging a dump - need alternative?

Robert Marella rmarella at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 15:20:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:48:40 +0200
Andrei Kolu <antik at bsd.ee> wrote:

> On Friday 10 November 2006 03:45, Robert Marella wrote:
> > Aloha All
> >
> > One of my computers has an Asus A8N-VM motherboard. I have been
> > running i386 on it for nearly a year. I played around with AMD64
> > earlier stuck with the i386.
> >
> > Last week I set up a dual boot with i386 and AMD64. The i386 is on a
> > SATA drive and I installed 6.2 Beta 3 on and IDE Drive. All went
> > well and I was installing ports from source. When I tried to
> > install K3B it crashed.
> >
> > I then cvsup'd the source (RELENG_6) and tried to update the
> > system. It was compiling for a few minutes and dumped again. I set
> > "dumpdev" and "dumdir" in rc.conf and proceded again. It crashed
> > and the dump was saved.
> >
> > Here's my problem: Since this was the first time I was building the
> > world, I cannot cd to /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNCONF because it
> > doesn't exist.
> >
> > I went to the i386 slice and did the upgrade (also RELENG_6) without
> > any problem. This seems to tell me that memory is good (2 Gig) and
> > I am not overheating.
> >
> > I mounted the partition for the IDE that has the crash and tried to
> > read it from the i386 but it can't do it.
> >
> > Is there some other way for me to debug the dump? This is the only
> > AMD64 system that I have.
> >
> > All help is appreciated. TIA
> >
> > Robert
>
> I had exactly the same problem with couple of AMD64 computers (random
> crashes during buildworld) and believe it or not- troublemaker was
> PSU (Power Supply Unit) Chieftech 410W if I remember correctly (it
> works just fine with Intel counterparts).

Andrei

Thank you for your response. It seems unlikely that it is the power
supply because I can buildworld on the same machine with an i386
install. The only difference is the i386 is on a SATA drive while the
AMD64 is on an IDE drive.

I will try another power supply just to make sure but I will not be
able to do anything until Monday or Tuesday. I am heading out in an
hour to relax and camp and hike at Volcanoes National Park.

Thanks again for your reply and have a great weekend.

Robert