SAS Raid - mfi driver

Fredrik Widlund fredrik.widlund at qbrick.com
Thu Nov 2 15:28:13 UTC 2006

Please don't direct this to me as I've already pointed out that I'm not
asking about this. Fyi. the cards were shipped in a hurry mistakenly
without bbus, we have to wait until next week for them to arrive, and
until then we will use cache without batteries since the performance
degradation using wthru on fbsd gives us no choice. This is not up for
debate here so please let that thread end here and now.

In general it's not up to you to decide how people evaluate
performance/safety/price ratios. In our case, for example, performance
is not an option, regardless of safety. With a 20MB/s bottleneck for
writing we can throw the system out the window. Our problem was
receiving a card that performed 200MB/s (not using cache) on a different
platform, but 20MB/s (not using cache) on fbsd with no apparent or
logical explanation as to why. If the fbsd mfi-driver's wthru support
comes with a severe performance penalty I suggest the man page mentions
it, regardless of whether you think "WThru is a bad thing (tm)" or not.

Kind regards,
Fredrik Widlund