bind9 trouble in -PRERELEASE

Nguyen Tam Chinh chinhngt at sectorb.msk.ru
Wed Nov 1 21:33:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 11:40:39PM +0300, Nguyen Tam Chinh wrote:
>> I don't think that I can do a stack backtrace when named left no core
>> after that.
>
> No core is being left either due to limits (limit/ulimit) being
> imposed on the user or group 'bind', or because chroot precautions
> are being used.
>
> The way to work around this, assuming the box isn't being used by
> end-users for application development (thus needing their own
> corefiles for their apps), is to do the following in sysctl.conf:
>
> kern.sugid_coredump=1
> kern.corefile=/some/absolute/path/%N.%P.core
>
> You can adjust these in realtime with sysctl as well.
>
> Be sure to specify an absolute path that the 'bind' account has
> write access to, and is big enough to fit a decent-sized coredump.
> If you have a large /var filesystem, /var/tmp is an OK place.

Thank you for the tip. I have kern.corefile set to /tmp from the
beginning but really no space left on that at that time.
I'll reply to the list if I get the backtrace.

-----
With best regards,          |            The Power to Serve
Nguyen Tam Chinh            |          http://www.FreeBSD.org
Loc: sp.cs.msu.su           |