panic: vfs_getopt: caller passed 'opts' as NULL

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Nov 1 17:54:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 11:57:48AM +0100, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:

> I grepped /sys for DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS and it seems to only add some
> additional KASSERTs, but not the one which triggered in the original
> panic.
>
> Nullfs seems more fragile than I initially thought ...

It's just that compiling in the extra debugging (it might be
DEBUG_LOCKS or DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS, I forget which), causes the sizes of
structures to change, so when the module tries to fondle the structure
at a certain offset thinking it's accessing a certain field, it's
really fondling something else entirely and the kernel gets a nasty
surprise and panics.

Kris