ipw(4) breaking under load

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Fri May 19 10:35:18 PDT 2006

Hi guys,

is it just me, or is no one actually using ipw(4) under 6.1? Anyway, I
set up a FreeBSD based AP using an ural(4) device. I'm connecting to it
via laptop and ipw(4). This works fine, as long as you don't push it.

Transferring some files via NFS gives me a lousy 100kB/s transfer rate,
which quickly stalls and the connection wedges. Syslog reports:
May 19 17:29:48 roadrunner kernel: ipw0: fatal error
May 19 17:34:43 roadrunner kernel: ipw0: fatal error
May 19 17:35:54 roadrunner kernel: ipw0: fatal error
May 19 17:37:43 roadrunner kernel: ipw0: fatal error

After running 'ifconfig ipw0 up ssid FOO' it will quickly re-associate
and resume transferring, but as you see from the timestamps above, it
stalls rather quickly.

The link quality can't be responsive, as I was within 2m of the AP. I
wish I could try if_ndis(4) but it quickly panics too (there's a PR
about it).

Anything I could try?

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: 20FEE9DD				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: AEC9 AF5E 01AC 4EE1 8F70  6CBD E76E 2227 20FE E9DD