Backups

Brian Doherty brian at icecomms.ie
Fri Mar 31 18:01:14 UTC 2006

Firstly let me say that I'm not sure if this is the right list to post to,
so if I am incorrect I apologise. Also if there is a better list for me to
post to, please direct me to it.

I have built a redundant freeBSD box for my mail server, and for my
webserver, and am putting the redundant boxes in a different geographic
location. I am looking for a way to backup the relevant data on the current
mail and webservers to the new redundant boxes every night. I could use scp
and do a full backup every night but I remember hearing of a piece of bsd
software that can compare the two file systems and just copy the changes.
This would dramatically cut down on the traffic across the link between the
machines.

Is there a tried and trusted method of doing this?

BTW I perform backups at the current site onto tape and will continue to do
so, I may perform tape backup at the new site too. Is this over kill?

Brian