watchdog network card

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Tue Mar 28 12:33:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:47:54AM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:
> nve does not run polling mode but dc does

Hmm.  Neither it does.  I could have sworn that I saw it listed
in the polling(4) man page.  Oh, well.  It wasn't working
anyway, and I haven't tried to use it yet: the dc is working
with polling on, though.

> I guess you have an IRQ conflict, nve and dc on the same hw interrupt,  and
> that setting dc in polling mode worked around this problem then

nve isn't sharing an interrupt with other things.  Dc might have
been, but I used the BIOS to pin the DC down to an unused IRQ (can't
do that with the nve since it's on the motherboard).  It's possible
that a BIOS upgrade might help, but I haven't had time to try that
yet, either.

FWIW, the isr allocation, according to dmesg.boot is:

ohci0: 21
ehci0: 22
atapci1: 21
atapci2: 22
dc0: 19
fwohci0: 18
nve0: 23
sio0: 4
sio1: 3
ppc0: 7
atkbdc0: 1
atkbd0: 1
psm0: 12

It's a bit alarming that the disk controllers are sharing
interrupts with the USB controller, but they seem to be working
OK.  I'm not using the USB much.

Hmm vmstat -i thinks differently.  Why don't atapci[12] show up
here?
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                         881          0
irq3: sio1                             1          0
irq4: sio0                             1          0
irq12: psm0                        98112          0
irq15: ata1                           48          0
irq16: oss                     129834685        147
irq18: fwohci0                    519767          0
irq19: dc0                             5          0
irq21: ohci0+                    1177487          1
irq22: ehci0+                         51          0
irq23: nve0                           22          0
cpu0: timer                   1762687264       1999
Total                         1894318324       2149

> you could check vmstat -i with and without polling enabled to see it

Yeah, but turning polling off kills the network connection, and
I need this machine to be working.  Maybe I'll try the
comparison the next time I take it down for it's regular upgrade
to _STABLE.

Cheers,

--
Andrew