Temperature monitoring in FreeBSD 4/5/6

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Fri Mar 24 19:25:40 UTC 2006

Stephan Koenig writes:
| Does anyone know of an easy way to get temperature information out of
| a Dell PowerEdge 1550/1650/1750/1850/2650/2850 running FreeBSD4/5/6?
|
| Something that has a very simple CLI that just outputs the temperature
| without any formatting, or a library/sysctl, would be ideal.

For now manually back port the ipmi device driver and then install
the latest ipmitool from ports.  Then you can run ipmitool via the
local interfaces.  Interface that are support are SMIC and KCS.
SSIF is in progress and dealing with some strange ACPI defintions
that put a hole in the address space of the HW :-(  I haven't really
looked at the BT interface yet.

Doug A.