a place for configuration files

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Mar 23 01:28:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 02:06:07AM +0100, Andrzej Cuber wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> for the last 5 years I was using Red Hat and Fedora Core Linuxes.
> With the beginning of the current year I installed FreeBSD Release 6 on one
> of my servers.
> It took me about a week to setup the system but I am very happy with it now.
>
> I build most of the stuff from the sources using ports.
> What I found strange is that the configuration files of different services
> are located in two different places. Most configuration which was installed
> from the CD is located at /etc but everything what I built from sources is
> located at /usr/local/etc. Maybe this is the way it use to be on Unix
>  based systems.

	I think having a /usr/local/etc is "new" (past decade maybe),
	but the /usr/local directory paradigm is a Berkeley thing.
	It probably began with the 4.X distribution; I began using
	Unix with V6 and there was no "local" directory.

> In RedHat and Fedora distributions all configuration files are located at
> /etc.
> I am very new to FreeBSD but I found it difficult. After installing desired
> package I have to add it to /etc/rc.conf in order to start it as a service
> and then I have to look for configuration folder in /usr/local/etc.
>
> Is there any reason why the configuration files are placed in those
> different locations?

	I'd guess just custom/habit/the-way-it's-always-been-done.
	It makes sense to me to have the etc directories at least
	symlinked.  Or the option-of having it.   BUT ....

	gary

   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix