Urgent FreeBSD Boot question! -- Almost there!

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue Mar 21 06:59:44 UTC 2006

As mentioned, this belongs on freebsd-qyestions, not freebsd-stable.
Also, could you please keep your questions as a single thread - it
makes it much easier to follow.

On Mon, 2006-Mar-20 18:43:04 -0600, Benjamin Sher wrote:
>FreeBS/i386 boot
>Default: 1: ad (1,a) default
>No /boot/kernel/kernel
>
>Then
>
>Default: 1: ad(1,a)/ boot/kernel/kernel
>boot: default No default

This looks like your install didn't work correctly.  When you installed
FreeBSD, did you "use entire disk" on ad1 for FreeBSD?  If not, exactly
how did you configure ad1?

If you boot into the live filesystem shell, can you
# mount /dev/ad1s1a /mnt

If so, what does "ls -l /boot" report?

If not, please provide the output of "fdisk ad1" and "disklabel ad1sX"
(where "X" is the partition that has a sysid of 165).

>By the way, for future reference, what boot manager should I choose next
>time I install FreeBSD? Lilo? Grub? If so, where is the option for
>installing it?

I've never seen any reason to move away from MBR.  If you want to use
LILO or Grub, you will need to install and configure it yourself -
google should find a tutorial.

--
Peter Jeremy