Urgent FreeBSD Boot question!

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Mar 20 23:01:57 UTC 2006

> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:44:28 -0500
> From: Benjamin Sher <sher07 at mindspring.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Dear Kevin:
>
> Sounds great! Just what I need. One question before I proceed: what is
> the holographic shell. Please be specific and provide step-by-step
> instructions. I am a bit nervous about this kind of brain surgery.
>
> Thank you again.
>
> Benjamin
> >
> > To write the MBR on the first disk, just boot the CD and select the
> > holographic shell. At that point, enter the command:
> > boot0cfg -B ad0
> >
> > That should do the trick. There are several other ways to do this, but
> > this is the first one I thought of for your situation.

Oops! I really meant the live file system. It is available on the
FreeBSD installation CD. It gives you a shell on the system.

Boot the installation CD
Select "Fixit"
Select "2 CDROM/DVD"
At the prompt, enter the boot0cfg command.
Type exit to return to sysinstall
Exit sysinstall to reboot the system
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer