utf-8 support in libc?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 20 17:26:28 UTC 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 12:21 , Vivek Khera wrote:

> I expect that to happen.  What I'm more curious about is the
> collating speed.  Ie, how fast are the sorting and string
> comparison functions.   The clam here is that in *BSD these are
> somehow not fast.  I'm not sure if that is a BSD issue or a
> Postgres issue for not taking advantage of the BSD functions properly.

I don't think that's the issue, so much as that FreeBSD *doesn't
support* UTF-8 collation so the database has to use its own (possibly
slower than platform-optimized) collation libraries.

(en_US.UTF-8/LC_COLLATE is symlinked to a US-ASCII collation sequence
which is identical to binary.  This is incorrect for UTF-8; there're
all kinds of strange things that need to be done to sort UTF-8
properly.)

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH