6.1-BETA4 installation report

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sun Mar 19 23:24:54 UTC 2006

Martin Jackson wrote:
>>> 1)  The upgrade errored out almost immediately on /var/empty, since
>>> it had been chflags'ed to nschg.  I went to the shell and chflags'ed
>>> that off, and upgrade continued.
>>
>> It's supposed to be that way, so something is wrong if this is causing
>> problems :(
>
> Agreed. :)  Looking through the source to sysinstall, it looks like I
> should have a /boot/kernel.prev, but I don't.  Perhaps the install of
> base went more poorly than I thought?  I wound up not having
> /boot/kernel at all.

If you go to the Options panel and turn on debugging (navigate to
Debugging, hit space, then q to quit) you'll get debug info in the
Alt-F2 window.  That might be helpful.  I'm not sure if the logging goes
  in a file that remains across reboot; that'd be useful for debugging
issues like this.

>>> 2)  The 'kernels' distribution wasn't installed at all, which led
>>> loader to complain upon reboot.  I had an old kernel installed, so I
>>> booted from that and used sysinstall to install GENERIC.  I also had
>>> to change loader.conf to reference 'kernel="GENERIC"'.  Is this the
>>> preferred way to do it, or should I move 'GENERIC' to 'kernel'?
>>
>> It should be installed as kernel.  Again I don't know how you got
>> something else :(
>
> Hm.  I will try to reinstall with 6.0-RELEASE and try to do the binary
> upgrade again, and see what happens.  Things will be different; this
> system was my first attempt to go to STABLE before I upgraded it so I
> can't rule out errors of my own in this case.

If you can record the steps by which you hit a problem it'd be
appreciated.  I'm not sure I tested the Upgrade mechanism so it may have
been broken by the mods I made to the kernel install logic.

	Sam