Temperature monitoring in FreeBSD 4/5/6

Surer Dink surerlistmail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 06:18:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 07:22:14PM -0500, Stephan Koenig wrote:
>> Does anyone know of an easy way to get temperature information out of
>> a Dell PowerEdge 1550/1650/1750/1850/2650/2850 running FreeBSD4/5/6?
>>
>> Something that has a very simple CLI that just outputs the temperature
>> without any formatting, or a library/sysctl, would be ideal.
>
> /usr/ports/sysutils/mbmon
>
> If you want an additional X frontend, try
>
> /usr/ports/sysutils/xmbmon

If you search for messages with subject: CPU/case/disk temperature
sensors for Dell PowerEdge 2850 on freebsd-hackers, you will discover
a thread which boils down to the following instructions:
reboot machine; while it's rebooting, it'll pop up message about bmc -
hit the magic key combination; configure an ip address, username, and
password; install freeipmi port; use
%./ipmitool -Ilan -Hipmiip -Uyyyy -Pxxxxxx sensors

The resulting values are the exact same values that the linux-based
web tool provides.  The only thing I have not found is the RAID
status, but I am guessing if you dig deep enough, you will find it in
there...