too much spam (Was: no subject)

J. Buck Caldwell freebsd at bitparts.org
Thu Mar 16 21:07:37 UTC 2006

Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 3/16/06, J. Buck Caldwell <freebsd at bitparts.org> wrote:
>
>> You know, I tried printing it out, but I still can't see the naked lady...
>>

> :-)
>
> Beware, by answering spam messages like
> that you get your address into spam filters all
> over the world. Change the subject line next
> time.

You might notice my email address - it's only used on this listserv, and
is a disposable alias. I start getting too much spam on it, I
unsubscribe, resubscribe with a variant (say, freebsd1), and kill the
old alias. I can't recommend this enough to anyone running their own MX
server - I never give out the same email address to two different
organizations. That way I know who's violating their own privacy
policies when I start getting spam.

To give you a for-instance - at work, where I have only one address, and
it's given out to all of our vendors, I get about 300 spam per day
(that's AFTER the RBLs). At home, on my own domain, I have about 130
different aliases pointing to one account, and get about 3 spam mails a
day, but to only two aliases - the one in my domain registration (which
is whois accessible), and this one (because it's web-archive
spiderable).Any other spam I get (which is rare), I check the privacy
policies of the sender (usually legitimate bulk-mail services) and their
client (Target being the biggest offender) and rat the former out to the
latter as violating published terms of service, and cc: it to the FTC.

Oh - wait - sorry, I misread. You meant that people might not get
messages FROM that address anymore. Meh. I don't consider myself that
important; if people don't get my random musings, they won't miss them.

Happy Thursday!
--
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.