swap at beginning of slice - danger?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Mar 15 15:42:24 UTC 2006

Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > >  # bsdlabel ad0s1 | fgrep b:
 > > >    b:  2097152        0      swap
 > > >
 > > > Previously, on a 4.11 system, swapinfo said that swap size was less than
 > > > size of b: partition on a slice - it was ok, as boot sectors are
 > > > located at beginning of slice. But now, sizes match exactly. What
 > > > changed and is it dangerous nowadays to have swap partition at offset 0 ?
 > >
 > > The code in sys/swap_pager.c does not touch the first two
 > > blocks, where blocks are measured in PAGE_SIZE units.
 > > The smallest page size supported on FreeBSD architectures
 > > is 4 KB (on i386), so that's at least 2 * 4k, which is 16
 > > sectors on the disk.  That's enough to skip MBR, disklabel
 > > and boot blocks.
 >
 >   You're right about RELENG_5 (and CURRENT).

And RELENG_6, of course.

 > However I don't see any equivalent code in RELENG_4.

RELENG_4 doesn't touch the first <n> sectors of the swap
partition either.  See the calculations for vsbase in
vm/vm_swap.c in the swaponvp() function.

Apart from that, RELENG_4 is pretty much dead, as far as
development is concerned, so nobody would suddenly change
how partitions are laid out by default.

 > Neither can I find where it's documented,
 > and thus any guarantees that it won't disappear tomorrow ;(

The comment in the source clearly state _why_ the first
two blocks of the swap partition are excluded, so no
developper will rip that out.  UFS skips the first 16
sectors, too -- that won't change either, and nobody is
really worried about it.

By the way, the first partition on a disk is usually the
root partition, not the swap partition.  So the problem
could arise only in unusual circumstances.

 > > In other words:  You're save.  No danger.  No need to worry.
 >
 > In this particular case - yes.

If you create a swap partition intentionally at the start
of a disk (for whatever reason), and if you're paranoid,
then make sure it starts at offset 16, not 0.

But even with offset 0 you're save.

Best regards
   Oliver

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton