Kernel INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE workaround?

Alan Amesbury amesbury at umn.edu
Mon Mar 13 15:32:35 UTC 2006

Jorge Aldana wrote:

> I'm on 6.1PreRelease and this works:
>
> strings -n 3 /boot/kernel/kernel | grep -v ____ | sed -n 's/^___//p'
>
> There was a minor tweek in this line back in 5.X transition form 4.X but
> my script works fine for 6.X since then.

Note that the problem isn't in the line you provided above that extracts
the built-in configuration file.  It's in the build procedure that's
supposed to put the config file into the kernel in the first place.  In
other words, "options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE" doesn't include *all* the
configuration data, because it doesn't include included configuration
files.  It's only including the very first level of nested configuration
files, which is not an accurate representation of what's in the kernel.

In my example, the configuration file for GENERIC should've been in
there somewhere, as well as anything included by GENERIC (such as the
stuff in DEFAULTS).

Again, this used to work great, but appears to have been broken in favor
of... usability?

--
Alan Amesbury
University of Minnesota