Segfaults from gcc, awk and Zend; advice needed

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Mar 13 13:31:22 UTC 2006

Alban wrote:
> For some reason I'm getting more or less random segfaults compiling
> kernels, world or PHP5 on BETA-3 (Python and perl went ok). So far I
> haven't succeeded building a fresh kernel or world. This system is an
> Athlon XP with 1MB RAM and 4GB swap, compiling is done in the usual
> places in /usr, which is a set of two gstriped partitions. Dmesg attached.

If the crashes aren't repeatable (ie, the compiler segfaults in different places
if you re-do the make), that's an almost sure sign of hardware problems like
overheating.

> - Optimization flags; I've tried setting CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp and CLFAGS=,
> CFLAGS=-O -pipe, CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe so far. All w/o avail...

If you're having problems, use the default compiler flags.  Trying to add
machine-specific optimizations into the mix is going to introduce spurious
issues and make it harder to figure out the real problem.

> - gcc 3.4.4, awk, PHP are all borken (all were built using gcc 3.4.4, I
> suppose)
>
> I'm a bit low on spare time, so I'd like to tackle this problem
> efficiently. Anything I forgot or to help me find the culprit?

I suppose you could wait until 6.1 is released and do a binary install/upgrade?

--
-Chuck