libthr + libtool bump + mysql

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Mar 11 02:39:11 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 01:19:54AM +0000, Chris wrote:
> I wasn't aware ports removed support right away tho so thank you for
> clarifying that for me.

There is not enough FTP space for packages corresponding to every
port, for every release.  We keep packages for the latest release
on each branch, and the current state of that branch.

We "support" building ports on as many releases as is feasible.
Right now that's 4.11, 4-stable, 5.4, 5-stable, 6.0, 6-stable, and
7-current.  Even this is, as you can imagine, a great deal of work.
In particular, anyone on 4.x before 4.10 and 5.x before 5.3 is going
to have a lot of trouble because of various incompatibilities.

> If things goto schedule, will both these releases be treated as
> supported by the ports tree?  And why is 5.5 been released at all
> if people should be upgrading to 6.x to remain supported?

Yes, both will be supported by the ports tree.  5.5 is being released
because we promised that there would be one more release from the
5.x tree -- and for that reason only.  However, it is simply infeasible
to back-port all the fixes in 6.x to 5.x.

We are pushing everyone to at least test 6.x because at the moment we
are simply spread too thin to support all of these various possible
combinations (don't forget that we also support multiple architectures).
We have tried to plan for less overlap in the future to ease the
support burden.  This is part of the lessons that we learned from 5.x.

mcl