libthr + libtool bump + mysql

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 01:22:17 UTC 2006

On 10/03/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 01:50:36AM +0000, Chris wrote:

> > > What does libtool have to do with it?

> > > Probably was.

> > > In general 6.x has too many bug fixes to mention, so chances are it's
> > > also good on 6.x.

> > > You can ask, but the port maintainer does not have to support running
> > > on older releases.
> > >
> > > Kris
> > >

> > Ok thanks 5.3 and 5.4 are "old" but not EOL they are still supported I
> > thought.
>
> Old releases sometimes have extended support for security fixes only,
> but for ports it's only "most recent release".  So 5.4 is still
> technically supported by ports, but that will change in a week or two
> when 5.5 is released.
>
> >  I dont like upgrading major version every 6-12 months and I
> > am sure there are others as well.
> >
> > So if I have this correct everytime a new major version hits release
> > ports may stop working for live release branches and it doesnt matter?
> >
> > For example some may take the view that 6.x isnt mature enough to use
> > until 6.2 or 6.3,
>
> I'm not responsible for the opinions of others :-)
>
> If you don't like the support situation, consider that you're not
> paying for it anyway, so if you want more support than the thousands
> of man-hours donated to you for free by the freebsd volunteers, you
> can pay someone for it to your level of comfort.
>
> Kris

I understand but it is frustrating that 6.x gets plugged a lot tho
when the person mentions they are using 5.x, I hope you understand
that when freebsd is used on a mission critical server then it is good
to only upgrade when necessary which is usually just for security
updates and also to wait for a 2nd or 3rd revision of the new major
version as to help avoid teething problems.  In that manner I am glad
older versions are supported for security patches for a while after
release.

I wasnt aware ports removed support right away tho so thank you for
clarifying that for me.

what does confuse me now and I am sure others, you have a situation
where only the most recent release is supported and 6.1 is been
released shortly before 5.5 if things goto schedule, will both these
releases be treated as supported by the ports tree? and why is 5.5
been released at all if people should be upgrading to 6.x to remain
supported?

Chris