well-supported SATA RAID card?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Mar 10 11:59:25 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 19:31, Brian Szymanski wrote:
> After not having much success with the hptmv driver for highpoint's
> rocketraid 1820A, I'm wondering if other folks have had good luck with any
> SATA RAID cards with at least 6 ports... Is there a SATA RAID card with
> utilities that let you manage while the OS is running that folks have had
> good luck with? I've been happy with the megaraid series on linux at my
> job, but I'm wondering if the management utilities are there on freebsd,
> etc.

I believe most Promise hardware is supported.
I use a "Promise PDC20378 SATA150 controller" built into my motherboard for
RAID1 and it works perfectly.

The only problem can be mapping the name to the PDC number although you should
be able to find it if you dig in the data sheet.

I believe the chip I am using is in the "FastTrak S150 TX2plus" - it has 2
SATA ports and a PATA port (which matches the motherboard)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum