libthr + libtool bump + mysql

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Mar 10 02:07:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 01:50:36AM +0000, Chris wrote:
> On 09/03/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:43:10PM +0000, Chris wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I recently noticed after the libtool bump using libthr on 5.3 and 5.4
> >
> > What does libtool have to do with it?
> >
> > > release servers for mysql causes the process to hang when a kill is
> > > issued and become unkillable even with -9 and the only way to recover
> > > is reboot the server.  The problem is not on 6.0 and 5.4-STABLE.  So
> > > this would suggest to me libthr is updated in the 5.x branch.
> >
> > Probably was.
> >
> > > Will libthr in 5.5 be the same as in 6.0 or does the 6.x version still
> > > have advantages?
> >
> > In general 6.x has too many bug fixes to mention, so chances are it's
> > also good on 6.x.
> >
> > > Should I contact the mysql port maintainer and ask him to add a
> > > warning to the port concerning libthr on 5.4 release and older?
> >
> > You can ask, but the port maintainer does not have to support running
> > on older releases.
> >
> > Kris
> >

> Ok thanks 5.3 and 5.4 are "old" but not EOL they are still supported I
> thought.

Old releases sometimes have extended support for security fixes only,
but for ports it's only "most recent release".  So 5.4 is still
technically supported by ports, but that will change in a week or two
when 5.5 is released.

>  I dont like upgrading major version every 6-12 months and I
> am sure there are others as well.
>
> So if I have this correct everytime a new major version hits release
> ports may stop working for live release branches and it doesnt matter?
>
> For example some may take the view that 6.x isnt mature enough to use
> until 6.2 or 6.3,

I'm not responsible for the opinions of others :-)

If you don't like the support situation, consider that you're not
paying for it anyway, so if you want more support than the thousands
of man-hours donated to you for free by the freebsd volunteers, you
can pay someone for it to your level of comfort.

Kris