ath(4) and 802.11g speed

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Mar 9 00:35:59 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 10:41, JoaoBR wrote:
> > It looks like "man ath" does not list all media and mediaopt values.
>
> sure not because there are lots of different cards out with different
> mediaopts so you need to read your hw-manual or your card can answer
> ifconfig -m ath0

In any case I imagine there is no point forcing it to use 54Mbit - it will
negotiate the highest speed it can manage based on signal strength and
hardware support (for the AP and the card) automatically.

I suspect forcing 54Mbit will either not work at all (because the signal isn't
strong enough or your hardware doesn't support it), or it will negotiate a
speed up to 54Mbit (which would result in no functional change).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum