gmirror(8) and graid3(8) changes.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 8 21:27:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 03:40:24PM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
+> At 02:39 PM 08/03/2006, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> >On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 01:50:42PM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
+> >+> At 05:28 PM 06/03/2006, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> >+> >Hi.
+> >+> >
+> >+> >Here you can find patches with changes to gmirror(8) and graid3(8):
+> >+> >
+> >+> >        http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/gmirror.7.patch
+> >+> >        http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/graid3.patch
+> >+>
+> >+> Hi,
+> >+> Against stable, this patch fails in places.   This is against RELENG_6 as of today
+> >
+> >graid3 from HEAD and RELENG_6 differ. Can you apply the patches to HEAD
+> >version and just copy entire sys/geom/raid3 from HEAD to RELENG_6?
+>
+> Yes, done.
+>
+> I had saved the test results from the last set of tests and added the new results.
+> http://www.tancsa.com/raid3.html
+>
+> There is both a speed improvement and regression in reading depending on the test size.  I repeated the 2G and 3G test twice and there was very little change between tests,
+> but it doesnt seem to make sense why 4G would be faster than 2G.  Also, this test if you recall, used to lock up the box with preemption in the kernel.  The version in
+> HEAD, with the above patch works just fine in RELENG_6 using these simple tests and does not lockup.

Ok, speed looks acceptable. Good to hear there are no more lockups.
Are you able to mensure synchronization speed between stock RELENG_6 and
patched patched HEAD version?
For patched HEAD version it would be great if you could experiment with
different values of kern.geom.raid3.sync_requests (you need to set it in
loader.conf) (the default is 4, it'll be good to see how it performs
with 1, 8, 16 and maybe 32).

Thank you!