Fresh install on gmirror'ed disks?

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Tue Mar 7 12:39:42 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 08:55, Volker wrote:

> I do agree that gmirror is not that bad and not that difficult. But
> take a look at how to setup a fresh system using gmirror (slice by
> slice mirroring):
>
> - install a complete system to a fresh disc
> - create the (well sized) slices on a 2nd disc (not that easy)
> - create the gmirror set on disc 2
> - bring gmirror up
> - copy all filesystems over to the gmirror set
> - reboot
> - create exactly sized slices on disc 1
> - insert everything into the gmirror set
>
> Using that procedure you're going to copy each installed file three
> times (install, copy to mirror, sync mirror). That's a waste of time
> compared to a solution where the installer would be able to install
> directly into a mirror.
>
> When using disc based gmirror (instead of per slice gmirror) the
> procedure is a bit easier, but similar.

Hi
there is no need to copy anything around ...

- you do install the system as usual
- before rebooting you create the to be mirrored disk with the gmirror label
command
(you do not loose data here)
- then you change your fstab acordingly
- you reboot
- you insert the mirror disk(s)
- gmirror should start syncing automatically if you did everything right

ready, this is a 3 minute thing

João