RELENG_4 on flash disk and swap

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Fri Mar 3 09:16:07 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Jeremy Bogan wrote:
>> In other words, does RELENG_4 kernel work stable and robust w/o swap or
>> should I provide a minimum-size swap device? Which configuration (1 or 2)
>> will give more robustness in case of physical memory shortage?
>
> I've got 4.11 running on a Geode based setup with 128MB RAM and a 64MB flash
> on chip, works a treat with no swap.

  I'm running some heavy tests on my machine (256Mb RAM, HDD, no swap,
4.11-RELEASE) such as "make buildwolrd". After successful completion of
this procedure I issued "rm -rf /usr/obj/usr" and got the following
(single) message from kernel:

Mar  3 11:05:32 test3 /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

Does anybody know whether it's harmless?

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua