ppp HDLC errors

Holger Kipp hk at alogis.com
Wed Mar 1 16:35:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:19:37PM +0100, Volker wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> I'm trying to get a 3g / UMTS connection to work on my RELENG_6
> (i386, AMD Sempron) machine. I've installed a Novatel Merlin U630
> card (pcmcia) which is providing a hayes serial modem to the system
> (on sio4 in my case).
>
> Dialing works fine but most DNS queries are timing out, but also
> most tcp sessions won't work. While in ppp (userland) I'm seeing
> messages like:

I had a similar problem with PCI-800H card.

> Later I'm seeing message like that on the console screen:
>
> sio4: 152599 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 152599)

Have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=51982
maybe it is related. You could change sio.c and increase cp4ticks
by factor of 10, then recompile your kernel and see if it helps.

have you activated rtscts-flowcontrol (see /etc/rc.d/serial) for sio4?

> It's a RELENG_6 machine with a recent kernel (compiled yesterday
> with kernel sources from Feb-26).
>
> sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode

this might be if sio4 shares its irq with other resources...

Regards,
Holger Kipp