em device hangs on ifconfig alias ...

Atanas atanas at asd.aplus.net
Fri Jun 30 23:44:49 UTC 2006

User Freebsd said the following on 6/30/06 1:48 PM:

> see 'arping' ... great little tool, solved all my problems as far as
> moving around IPs ...

Thanks for the tip, I will try it next time.

>> I still have many 4.x based machines, and both em issues (the card
>> reset on each alias and the arp packets not been sent when going down)
>> were present when I was doing my tests.
>
> Right, what version of 4.x?  The one that I have working is from ~Feb
> 2005 .. if I were to upgrade that to the latest 4-STABLE, it would break
> like the rest ... the older 4.x had a different em driver in the kernel
> then the newer one ...

The problem was initially discovered back in 2003 (must have been with
4.8 or 4.9) and after switching back to fxp I haven't tested the 4.x
branch any more.

I remember testing 5.x around the 5.3 release (2004) and 6.x shortly
after 6.0 (2005), and both em driver versions shipped with these
releases were having the same issues.

I haven't tested it this year yet, but even in case it's fixed, it's not
likely that all improvements will get back-ported to the older branches
(over 90% of my servers run something older than 6.x). But as long as
fxp works, this is a non-issue for me.

Regards,
Atanas