em device hangs on ifconfig alias ...

User Freebsd freebsd at hub.org
Fri Jun 30 20:48:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Atanas wrote:

> A workaround is to power both of the systems down and then power them up.
> This however cannot be done remotely and in case there were IP aliases, they
> still don't get any traffic.

see 'arping' ... great little tool, solved all my problems as far as
moving around IPs ...

> I still have many 4.x based machines, and both em issues (the card reset
> on each alias and the arp packets not been sent when going down) were
> present when I was doing my tests.

Right, what version of 4.x?  The one that I have working is from ~Feb 2005
.. if I were to upgrade that to the latest 4-STABLE, it would break like
the rest ... the older 4.x had a different em driver in the kernel then
the newer one ...

----