problems with fetch

Michael Proto mike at jellydonut.org
Thu Jun 29 13:57:09 UTC 2006

Christopher Hobbs wrote:
> I'm a first time poster, so forgive me if this is the wrong list or if I break
> etiquette.
>
> Fetch frequently fails for me when installing ports via "pkg_add" or directly
> from the ports tree.  Regardless of the port I'm trying to add, it almost always
> returns the following...
>
> Using 'pkg_add':
>
> --BEGIN SNIP--
>
> root at SS002:~ 160:0# pkg_add -r xpdf
> Error: FTP Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/Latest/xpdf.tbz:
> Syntax error in parameters or arguments
> pkg_add: unable to fetch
> 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/Latest/xpdf.tbz'
> by URL
>
> --END SNIP--

This is probably better-suited to the freebsd-questions@ list, but I'll
take a quick stab at it. Could it be that you're behind a firewall or
FTP proxy that doesn't support active FTP transfers? You mentioned you
tried several of the knobs for fetch, but did you try the same fetch
with the -p flag?

fetch -p
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/Latest/xpdf.tbz

-Proto