FreeBSD 6.x CVSUP today crashes with zero load ...

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 28 21:06:14 UTC 2006

At 3:34 PM +0100 6/28/06, Robert Watson wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>>>I wish I'd run the memory test earlier, but the lesson
>>>is clear!
>>
>>Is there something that I can run *from* FreeBSD, remotely,
>>to do this?
>
>Not that I know of.  In the past, the discussion has been
>held about adopting a memory tester into the boot loader,
>which is almost certainly the right place to put it (before
>VM kicks off and we load many megabytes of critical data
>structures, etc).  Some hands to make this happen would
>be most welcome.

It doesn't even need to be *inside* the boot loader, does
it?  Could it be done as an alternate-kernel that could
be loaded by the boot-loader?

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org