6.1-R ? 6-Stable ? 5.5-R ?

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Wed Jun 28 08:09:17 UTC 2006

Albert Shih writes:

> I've nfs server running 6-Stable (5 April 2006) with some trouble but ...
> well approx stable.
>
> But today he crash again (after ~1.5 mounth).
>
> Now I'm like have some advise :
>
> 	1/ I can upgrade to 6.1-Release, but I've see many problem with
> 	nfsd heavy load. And the only purpose of this server is .. nfsd.

We have been upgrading to 6.X.. including 6.1 and so far the server seems,
for the most part stable, until a few days ago(more below). What is a HUGE
problem for us so far is that if the server hanks.. all clients that are 6.X
can't unmount. 6.0 stable, 6.1 stable.. recent 6.1.. not so recent 6.1..
UDP, TCP, softmount with retrycount 1... In  short. Right now I would not
recommend 6.X for nfs client.

> 	3/ I can downgrade to 5.5. I known this is legacy release but
> 	if it's work....that's enought for me...

So far 6.X has been for the most part stable as NFS sever for us.. but one
of our servers has been hanging crashing and NFSD was showing as status
"GIANT"... and locking.. It had 6.0 stable and upgrading it to 6.1 stable
(6-26) has not helped. But other machines are ok.. so may be an application.