FreeBSD 6.x CVSUP today crashes with zero load ...

Paul Allen nospam at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 27 00:41:25 UTC 2006

>From "M.Hirsch" <webmaster at hirsch.it>, Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 01:38:35AM +0200:
> Sticks don't just break on a single bit. From my experience, a stick
> that's got any problems at all, will cause even more trouble soon...
> If a hardware problem isn't worth panick'ing, what else is?
> (don't answer this one please, this was a rhetorical question - to those
> who didn't get it...)
As has been mentioned by other people already: this position is severely
ahistorical.  ECC has traditionally been motivated by a desire to
  1) provide reliable computing operations
  2) ensure high-availability (uptime)

The very originating purpose of ECC was to keep the computer going in the
face of an alpha particle strike.

Alpha particles flip *single* bits.

ECC was never intended to detect crummy, failing hardware: that's a use
people have shoe-horned it into, but for which it is not entirely suited.