FreeBSD 6.x CVSUP today crashes with zero load ...

M.Hirsch M.Hirsch at gmx.de
Mon Jun 26 21:37:25 UTC 2006

Nope,

I'd like my bank data to be stored on a system that does ECC, no question.
But please, on hard disk level (RAID; that is _permanent_), not in the
RAM of a single node.

If memory gets corrupted, please, raise a kernel panic... Even if
there's ECC in place.

Counter question:
Would you like your bank account data to be stored on a medium where one
failure can be corrected, two can be detected, but three go unnoticed?
How unlikely is that, if you've got some hardware that is really /broken/?

I know this is a rather random thing to happen.
Still, I think ECC memory is overrated. Better have it fail immediately.
_With a kernel panic, please_

M.