FreeBSD 6.x CVSUP today crashes with zero load ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Jun 25 00:29:39 UTC 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> 'k, looks like I'm going to have to back this out ... just upgraded another
>> server to 6.x, CVSup latest -STABLE, built, installed, rebooted ... up fine
>>
>> Running a single 'rsync' to copy files from another server over, it has
>> crashed twice in a row so far ...
>>
>> I'm enabling dumpdev right now, and will see if I can a core dump out of
>> it, but, so far, there is nothing being reported in /var/log/messages to
>> indicate a problem ...
>>
>> Does anyone know of any problems with current source tree that I should
>> avoid?  And, if so, can someone recommend a "stable date" to CVSup in and
>> try?  This server isn't production yet, and I'm not panic'd right now to
>> make it so (basically, I've got a couple of days if I need it) ...
>

> Just found this in my /var/log/messages file after the last reboot to enable
> savecore/dumpdev:
>
> Jun 25 00:19:59 jupiter kernel: ACPI-0356: *** Error: Region SystemIO(1) has
> no handler
> Jun 25 00:19:59 jupiter kernel: ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed
> [\_SB_.LN02._STA] (Node 0xc9071920), AE_NOT_EXIST
> Jun 25 00:19:59 jupiter kernel: ACPI-0239: *** Error: Method execution failed
> [\_SB_.LN02._STA] (Node 0xc9071920), AE_NOT_EXIST
>
> For those on the -acpi list, this machine is an Intel Dual-PIII motherboard

'k, I'm starting to get the impression that FreeBSD 6.x is evil ... at
least as far as Dual-PIII servers are concerned ... on a machine that,
like the other Dual-PIII, I've only ever had hard drive issues with, and
then rarely, I just upgraded to FreeBSD 6.x yesterday, and am trying to
rsync a bunch of files across, and am getting:

=========
doing nssci.net from uranus
Bad system call (core dumped)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (4610 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(472) [sender=2.6.8]
doing ns2.earthtecinc.com from uranus
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1030362 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(443)
=========

I've *never* seen rsync give a problem before, on any of my servers, now
I'm getting core dumps?

Am back tracking to RELENG_6_1 right now, see if that helps ... :(

----