vmstat 'b' (disk busy?) field keeps climbing ...

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Jun 24 17:11:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:33:05PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Matthew D. Fuller, and lo! it spake thus:

> It's the vnode pager, not the swap pager.  AIUI, that's mostly
> paging in and out pages of running binaries (from the image on
> disk), not moving stuff in and out of swapspace.

Actually, as I think of it, I think the vnode pager would also be the
part used faulting pages in and out of mmap()'d files, which could
point at the database.  Memory pressure from that wouldn't result in
swapping, since clean pages would just get tossed and dirty pages
would be synced and tossed.

In that case it may not be so much a 'problem', as just 'normal' for
your case, and your actual problem may be somewhat elsewhere.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net