kernel can't find root filesystem

Robert Ames robertames at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 24 13:26:57 UTC 2006

>From: "M.Hirsch" <M.Hirsch at hirsch.it>
>
>I had the same problem with 6.1. But only on some occasions, not always
>(iirc).
>The installations I made over the last weeks had all very different
>environments and deployment methods.
>I can't tell anymore when it happens and when not because I simply added
>the below loader.conf setting to my postinstall-script.
>
>Add "vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:da0s1" to /boot/loader.conf to fix it.

Thank you.  That solves my problem even though it seems more like
a workaround than an actual solution.  But I'll take it.  :-)

Also, someone responded asking if I had a valid entry in /etc/fstab
for the root filesystem.

foo# cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/da0s1a          /                          ufs     rw              1
    1
/dev/da0s1b         none                   swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da1s1d         /local                  ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/cd0                /cdrom              cd9660  ro,noauto       0
0