Crash with FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE of today

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 23 16:26:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Martin Blapp wrote:

>> As I understand it, spltty() is now a no-op.  Does this mean that this code
>> is now essentially running without any locks that were used to serialise
>> changes to struct tty in days gone by?  Or is the whole tty subsystem still
>> running under Giant?
>
> I thought this too. Maybe Robert knows more.

I appreciate your confidence in my knowledge, but in fact, I know little about
the tty subsystem.  I do know that the tty code does currently require Giant,
but the tricky bits of a non-MPSAFE subsystem generally aren't the middle
bits, but the edges where it interacts with other subsystems.  It might be
productive to slap GIANT_REQUIRED all over the tty code and see if the
assertion fires with INVARIANTS.  It would be nice if the answer were simple,
but I suspect that it will be more complicated.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge