Asus A8V IRQ/serial problems

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jun 23 05:05:19 UTC 2006

In message: <200606221424.14380.doconnor at gsoft.com.au>
            "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> writes:
: I have 2 Asus A8V motherboards running FreeBSD 6.0 and 6.1 (amd64) and I see
: the following in dmesg..
:
: sio0: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
: sio0: port may not be enabled
: sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 flags 0x10 on acpi0
: sio0: type 16550A
: sio1: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
: sio1: port may not be enabled
: sio1: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
: sio1: type 16550A
:
: The ports are enabled in the BIOS and do seem to work.. mostly. I have had odd
: problems trying to talk to stuff connected to the on occasion though.
:
: I have another [custom] driver that is based on sio.c and it shows the same
: warning (it is a PCI RS485 card).
:
: I have tried playing with various ACPI & ATPIC settings in the BIOS but no
: change. If I disable ACPI in the kernel the IDE driver fails to activate it's
: IRQ and then panics a bit later...
:
: I have updated to the latest BIOS but it had made no change.
:
: Hmm actually I just looked through the code.. It appears that this happens
: because isa_irq_pending() is a noop unless isa is in the kernel, and it isn't
: in GENERIC. Perhaps those tests in sio.c should be conditionalised on isa
: too?

isa_irq_pending can only really be called on isa bus attachments...

Why don't you have ISA in your kernel.  I thought it was still required.

Warner