Asus A8V IRQ/serial problems

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Jun 23 01:55:23 UTC 2006

On Thursday 22 June 2006 20:53, Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> > The ports are enabled in the BIOS and do seem to work.. mostly. I have
> > had odd problems trying to talk to stuff connected to the on occasion
> > though.
>
> Never had any problems with it. I use it for a serial console at 115200
> baud.

Hmm, well I was testing it with a new type of UPS so I may have it confused in
my head.
Certainly my more recent testing didn't show anything up.. I am just paranoid
as it's about to get shipped to the Antarctic :)

> I booted once with ACPI disabled, all seemed to work except that it didn't
> detect the dual core cpu properly.

Hmm OK..
I would prefer to boot with ACPI anyway.

> AFAIK there's no such thing as a real ISA bus on amd64, including it in the
> kernel would make little sense.

Well you can probably get a PCI<->ISA bridge and a passive backplane ;)

I think a better option would be to remove the test in sio.c for the AMD64
case since isa_irq_pending() won't do anything.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum