atheros 'device timeout'

Alex Burke alexjeffburke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 22:28:49 UTC 2006

Hi,

Just to chime in and say that I have seen device timeout messages too
- the behaviour for me was (ok, maybe a bit random but...) having
mounted an NFS exported /usr/src and hammering it with a buildworld.
So really, I guess I can only say that I have seen this when the
wireless card was under some very heavy load.

Symptoms where I would notice things just stop, it dissociates...and
sure enough, on the console was an ath0: device timeout message. I was
using WPA2-PSK, and the card I have is a Netgear WPN511 (Cardbus),
which i think defines itself as a 5212 chip. I was running FreeBSD 6.0
with all security patches at the time.

Anyways, it does appear that it can happen, and glad I am not the only
one hititng it - would be interested to find out how hard you were
working it when it occured though.

If anoybody needs any furhter information, I will put 6.1 on my laptop
and see if I can reproduce and/or retrieve anything that may help.

Thanks, Alex J Burke.